Smoldering Cigarette May Have Started Chilliwack Fire On Laughington Place

Chilliwack – Early Thursday morning (July 20th 2017 at approximately 3:00AM)  Chilliwack Fire  was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 47000 block of Laughington Place.

On arrival fire crews reported seeing light smoke from the rear of a 2 story residential home.

A neighbour next door was alerted by the smell of smoke and went out to investigate. The neighbour witnessed flames on the rear deck of the home and quickly alerted the occupants who were sleeping at the time. Resident’s safely evacuated and the neighbour continued to control the fire using water from a garden hose until fire crews arrived on scene. Once on scene, fire fighters promptly extinguished and overhauled the final stages of the fire.

The home sustained fire damage to a planter on the deck and to a section of rear exterior wall. There was minor smoke damage contained to the attic space only.

No one was hurt and the cause of the fire is accidental.

Once again, the Chilliwack Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind homeowner’s when extinguishing smoking materials, do not discard cigarettes in dry vegetation such as bark mulch, landscaping, peat moss, grasses, leaves or other items that could ignite quickly especially at this time of the season.

Be the first to comment on "Smoldering Cigarette May Have Started Chilliwack Fire On Laughington Place"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.