Chilliwack – On Wednesday afternoon (March 16th 2016 17:00pm) the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 5000 block of Lickman Rd.
Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 4 & 6. On arrival fire crews were met by the owner who was working in the yard and had reported seeing black smoke from the rear back door of a 1 story residential home. The owner did the right thing by not re-entering the home, walked across the street and had the neighbour call 911.
The interior of the home sustained minor fire damage to a section of the wall in the living room and smoke damage throughout the building.
There were no civilian and or firefighter injuries.
The cause of the fire is accidental.
The Chilliwack Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind homeowner’s when cleaning wood burning fireplaces and or appliances, hot ash is to be disposed of in a metal container and store the container outside the home away from combustibles.
It is also recommended to use good quality dry seasoned firewood and have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually (preferably before the start of the burning season) by a certified professional.