Chilliwack Mountie Forced To Resign After Sexual Misconduct

Chilliwack/Vancouver (Province) – A former B.C. Mountie has been ordered off the force following a misconduct hearing this month.

While serving last year as an RCMP constable in Chilliwack, Daniel Marshall was the subject of a number of complaints, including allegations of on- and off-duty sexual encounters.

At a public hearing this month in Vancouver, a board reviewed six allegations that Marshall “engaged in discreditable conduct in a manner that is likely to discredit the force.”

Marshall, who was suspended before the hearing, denied all six allegations.

But after the five-day hearing, RCMP spokesman Staff Sgt. Rob Vermeulen said in an email: “The Board found all allegations (1 to 6) to be established.”

Marshall was ordered to resign from the force within 14 days, Vermeulen said last week, adding: “As of now Mr. Marshall is no longer a member of the RCMP.”

The hearing, held in the conference room of a Vancouver hotel, heard testimony from witnesses including a supervising officer in the Chilliwack RCMP, a fellow constable, and four women who complained about Marshall’s conduct.

The board delivered the decision on the afternoon of Dec. 18, the final day of the hearing, said Sgt. Debbie Postnikoff of the RCMP’s Professional Standards Unit.

Two complainants testified they had sexual encounters with Marshall after meeting him during the course of his police work.

Another case involved Marshall’s alleged failure to properly investigate a report of a sexual assault.

Another complainant, a teenage group-home resident, testified that a conversation with Marshall left her shaken and scared.

The complainants’ identities are covered by a publication ban.

Before each one testified, a black curtain was set up, blocking the view between where they sat in the witness stand and where Marshall sat, across the room at a table with his lawyer.

Marshall initially faced nine allegations, but three were withdrawn before the start of the hearing, because the complainant had recently died. Despite those three allegations being withdrawn, lawyer Julie Roy said evidence related to the dead woman’s complaints was relevant “to provide evidence about some sort of a pattern of Const. Marshall’s type of misconduct.”

Roy, representing the RCMP’s conduct authority, said: “Within a very short period, five women made complaints about Const. Marshall’s sexual misconduct.”

In Marshall’s testimony, he denied allegations and disputed some of the complainants’ evidence.

Marshall is not facing any criminal charges, according to B.C.’s online court registry. On Monday, phone calls and an email to Marshall’s lawyer were not immediately answered.

dfumano@theprovince.com

twitter.com/fumano

Be the first to comment on "Chilliwack Mountie Forced To Resign After Sexual Misconduct"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.