Agassiz, BC – In 2015 the Agassiz Agricultural and Horticultural Association will celebrate the 111th Fall Fair and the 67th Corn Festival. On Friday afternoon September 18 and all day Saturday September 19 the midway will again offer a special price for rides.
Our midway has one of the best collections of rides for a fair. The Friday night entertainment is being finalized and there will be great musicians for you to enjoy.
The Agricultural Hall will be open on Friday from 4:00 to 9:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. In the hall one can view Arts and Crafts, Painting, Needlework, Baking, Canning, Floral, Fruit, Vegetable, Pets, and Photography entries as well as Educational displays.
On Saturday several 4-H groups will be at the Fair show casing their cattle, horses, pigs, sheep, swine, dogs, goats, rabbits, sewing, photography, educational poster and educational displays.
Saturday activities will include: a Parade, Crowning of the Corn King/Queen, Stage Entertainment including musicians and dancers, a Midway, a Corn Husking Competition, a Goat Milking Contest, an Antique Tractor Pull, a BMX Bike Demonstration, Lawn Mower Races, a Farmer’s Market, and a Kid’s Corner.
What is a Fair without great food? On fair day, don`t miss the best barbecued chicken and corn, burgers and hot dogs in town.
There is always some of the traditional fair activities and something new. “Poultry in Motion” demonstration trailer will be on site.
Did You Know?
- The Agassiz Fall Fair and Corn Festival is run by a non-profit association called the Agassiz Agricultural and Horticultural Association.
- The first Agassiz Fall Fair was held in 1901.
- The Kent Agricultural and Horticultural Association was incorporated on November 16, 1899. The name was officially changed on August 20, 1914 to the Agassiz Agricultural and Horticultural Association.
- The annual fall fair and corn festival is always held on the second Saturday after Labour Day.
- In 2007 the first Corn Queen was crowned after 58 years of Corn Kings.
- The present Agricultural Hall was built in two phases; the kitchen was completed in 1983 and the auditorium in 1987.
- Hundreds of volunteers are needed to put on the Fall Fair and Corn Festival.
- The primary function of the association is to protect and advance agriculture, horticulture and fruit growing interests in the District of Kent.
- Each year an average of 10,000 people attend the Fall Fair and Corn Festival.
- For 6 years, the Agassiz Fall Fair has won the coveted title of Fair of the Year. The fair competed for the title with other fairs in the same attendance class. This award was given out by the BC Association of Agricultural Fairs & Exhibitions.
- Up to 75% of all grocery items contain corn in some processed form. Some products that may have corn as an ingredient include: candies, ketchup, soft drinks, ink, latex paint, spark plugs, tire, wallpaper, varnish, dog food, ice cream, chewing gum, margarine, mayonnaise, yoghurt.
- An ear of corn has an average of 80 kernels.
- Corn is grown in every continent except Antarctica.
- Corn is a person’s best friend. It’s the best listener (has a good ear) and never talks back!
Special Corn Events (What Else Did You Expect?)
- Corn Husking!