Abbotsford – According to the freshet update released by the City of Abbotsford, as of April 1, 2021, snow pack in the Fraser River basin is approximately 116% of normal. Residents living in areas along the Matsqui Dyke may experience pooling of water or seepage.
Seasonal weather during the snow melt season is a critical factor in determining the size of freshet, and whether or not flooding will occur. Intense or prolonged rainfall and extreme temperatures are important factors that can lead to larger freshets.
The findings mirror what was recently presented to Chilliwack council.
Seepage pooling is quite common during freshet. To minimize the seepage pooling and/or a boil on your property, please avoid the following activities from May to September near the dykes:
- the removal of trees or stumps;
- deep cultivation of fields; and
- digging holes with machines
Further information is available from the following sources:
· To view the areas where seepage pools were found during previous freshet seasons, please visit https://www.abbotsford.ca/city-services/dyking-drainage or make an in person appointment at the Engineering Department at City Hall for a hardcopy.
· For more information on the snow survey and freshet season, please visit the Province of BC River Forecast Centre website.
· For real-time river level information at the Mission Bridge (Station 08MH024), please visit the Government of Canada Water Office website.
· To report water pooling on your property or to get information on the freshet season, please contact the City of Abbotsford Dyking, Drainage and Irrigation Division at 604-853-5485.