Chilliwack – Just after Midnight, Saturday morning, neighbours woke up to flames coming from an apartment complex on the 45000 block of Stevenson (off Vedder).
Firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, and on arrival, reported seeing black smoke and flames on the exterior of a fourth floor balcony.
Search and Rescue provided community back up while fire crews were working this fire.
Residents were evacuating the structure as fire crews arrived on scene, two adjacent apartment complexes were also evacuated as a precaution. The fire had extended into the attic space of the structure, and firefighters set up a defensive attack on the exterior of the structure to control of the fire. Crews searched the structure to ensure all occupants had made it out safety.Emergency Social Services (ESS)volunteers worked hard to meet the needs of the displaced residents.A reception center was set up a Tyson Elementary to accommodate displaced residents, who were transported to the school by school busses.
While the fire was out by 8 AM, Crews worked through the day until around 5PM assisting displaced residents by retrieving essential belongings from their suites for them.The top floor and roof of the apartment complex suffered major fire and structural damage, while the lower floors suffered major water damage. One firefighter received a minor injury and was treated at the scene.
This fire appears to be accidental and is under investigation. There are reports and pictures from Global that this may have started on a balcony. The fire starting on the outside of the building.
Steven Hames told FVN that this was a four alarm response.
Marketa Scotkova, a friend of FVN was blunt: Buh bye place. Praying I have some stuff saved.
Chilliwack School Board Councilor Willow Reichelt lives next door: The building next door is on fire 😱 Our unit is 50 feet from this, so now we’re afraid to go to sleep in case we’re asked to evacuate. I feel so bad for these people. Our buildings have at least 60 units, so this means a lot of people affected. My family lost our house to a fire when I was in grade 5, so fire freaks me out.
This still from Facebook video is from Fran Emmanuel.