Skip to content

All Open Fires Allowed Again In Coast Fire Area

Fraser Valley/Victoria – As of September 14, 2015, all open fires will once again be allowed throughout the Coastal Fire Centre’s jurisdiction, due to a decreased risk of wildfires.

Burn barrels, fireworks and tiki torches will also be permitted.

People who intend to conduct an open burn must first check with their local government to ensure that there are no additional local bylaws or restriction in place that might regulate open burning.

  • Campfires must be no larger than a half-metre wide by a half-metre high. People who light campfires are reminded to have a hand tool, such as a shovel, or at least eight litres of water nearby to fully extinguish the campfire.
  • Category 2 fires are fires that burn material in piles smaller than two metres high and three metres wide, or stubble or grass over an area smaller than 2,000 square metres.
  • Anyone lighting a Category 3 fire must first obtain a burn registration number by calling 1 888 797-1717. A Category 3 fire is a fire that burns material piled more than two metres high or three metres wide, or stubble or grass over more than 2,000 square metres, or more than two piles of any size.
  • An infographic showing the differences between campfires, Category 2 fires and Category 3 fires is available online at:
  • A person who lights a fire must have sufficient personnel, water and tools on hand to stop the fire from escaping and must comply with air quality control legislation.
  • Never leave a fire unattended.

The rescinding of the open burning prohibition applies to all BC Parks, Crown lands and private lands, but does not apply within the boundaries of a local government that has forest fire prevention bylaws and is serviced by a fire department.

The Coastal Fire Centre covers all of the area west of the height of land on the Coast Mountain Range north of the U.S.-Canada border at Manning Park, including Tweedsmuir South Provincial Park in the north, the Sunshine Coast, the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and Haida Gwaii.

To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.

For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, go to:

You can also follow the latest wildfire news:

Share This:

Coast Valley Markets

Lorne Oss 604 392 5834


Chill TV


Small Business BC

Community Futures

Unique Thrifting

On Key

Related Posts