Abbotsford/Toronto – RogersTM Hometown HockeyTM Tour presented by Scotiabank and Hyundai is heading to Abbotsford, on December 14 and 15 to celebrate more of the game that brings us together. Hosts Ron MacLean and Tara Slone will be on site for the festivities, which include meet-and-greet opportunities with NHL alumni Darcy Hordichuk and Nathan Lieuwen, live local entertainment, and the live Sportsnet NHL broadcast.
The two-day hockey festival begins on Saturday, December 14 at Noon PT at Abbotsford Exhibition Park (32470 Haida Dr.) and will conclude on Sunday evening following the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party. The evening’s broadcast gets underway with a special pre-game show hosted by MacLean and Slone live from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio beginning at 4:30 p.m. PT, followed by a showdown between the Vancouver Canucks and Vegas Golden Knights, on Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW and NHL LIVE.
Through Rogers Hometown Hockey, Rogers and the National Hockey League (NHL) are excited to provide grants covering the install of an innovative, multi-use sport net for Abbotsford. This unique system enhances community spaces, transforming a single-purpose basketball net into a multi-sport structure, promoting healthy and active lifestyles while also reducing costs and barriers so families can play sports year-round.
Additionally, Ted Rogers Community Grants are being awarded to local educational programs that enable Canadian youth to succeed inside and outside the classroom. Abbotsford Youth Commission has been awarded $10,000 to identify, promote, improve, increase and provide services and programs for youth in Abbotsford.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Festival Details:
The free hockey-themed weekend features games, prize giveaways, fun activities, and live local entertainment for the whole family, including:
- Rogers Fan Hub: Celebrate more of the game that brings us together with fun and interactive hockey experiences. Fill out your Fan Profile for a chance to win exclusive Rogers Moments, enjoy autograph signings with NHL alumni Darcy Hordichuk, test your stickhandling with the Infinite Dangles challenge, and grab some free popcorn!
- Sportsnet Shooting Accuracy Game: Fans race against the clock to snipe as many targets as possible before time runs out! A digital scoreboard tracks the best scores from the day, and from the other Tour stops across the country. Players of all ages can show off their hockey skills and see how they match up to NHL stars and alumni with fantastic prizes to be won!
- Steve Goodtime Rockin’ Hockey Show: Come see Steve Goodtime, our world-renowned hockey acrobat! Steve performs his incredible family-friendly rock n’ roll hockey show packed with fire, juggling, stunts, and guitar solos. The event will be rocked!
- Scotiabank Community Hockey Rink: A family-friendly outdoor hockey space designed to engage hockey fans who can interact with NHL alumni Nathan Lieuwen and celebrate the game. Scotiabank will also be donating $15,000 in support of kids’ community hockey at each tour stop this season.
- Hyundai Drives Hockey: Hyundai displays on festival grounds will feature games and challenges for kids and parents alike. Opportunities to test-drive and interact with the entire range of five Hyundai SUVs will demonstrate how Hyundai is made for those who drive hockey. Fans will have the chance to win on-site giveaways, weekend prizes as well as an overall grand prize for the season.
- Dr. Oetker Giuseppe Pizzeria: Fans can enjoy a complimentary slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria pizza fresh out of the oven, and learn more about the Find Giuseppe contest with many great prizes to be won!
- Playmobil Kids Zone: Fans have the chance to face off against friends and family with the PLAYMOBIL NHL Arena and its lineup of NHL figures. In the zone, fans will also be able to enter to win an NHL playset.
- Sobeys Community Barbeque: Sobeys is proud to support the Community Barbeque through a food donation. All funds raised this weekend will go towards supporting the Abbotsford Minor Hockey Association and Abbotsford Female Minor Hockey Association.
- Live Local Entertainment: Live music featured throughout the weekend beginning with The Whiskeyjays performing on Saturday followed by Kyler Pierce on Sunday.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Event and Broadcast Details
· Abbotsford Exhibition Park (32470 Haida Dr.)
- Saturday, December 14 – Festival open from Noon to 6 p.m. PT.
- Sunday, December 15 – Festival opens at Noon PT and runs through the end of the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party.
- Special Guests:
- NHL alumni Darcy Rota and Nathan Lieuwen
Sarah and Amy Potomak of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers – the first sister duo named to the roster of Canada’s national women’s ice hockey team
- Game Matchup:
- Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights, 4:30 p.m. PT (Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW, NHL LIVE)
Slone meets up with Mackenzie Skapski, a former NHLer currently playing for HKM Zvolen in the Tipsport Liga (Slovakia), to tour his hometown of Abbotsford.