Fraser Valley – RCMP are reminding folks in the Upper Fraser Valley as people prepare for the season of giving there are those waiting for the opportunity to take – protect your property from being stolen.
Vehicles left unattended with doors unlocked, items and purchases in easy view, and electric garage door openers left inside overnight present greater opportunities for a thief to target holiday shoppers as they buy gifts for family and friends.
Alongside of our officers conducting proactive patrols we encourage neighbours to watch out for neighbours and report suspicious activity to police, says Corporal Mike Rail spokesperson for the UFVRD. Together community working with police remains a powerful means to keep our neighbourhoods safe.
Tips to protect your property from theft:
- Always lock vehicle doors.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view inside your vehicle.
- Remove valuables and remote garage door openers from your vehicle when parked for the night.
- Light up your home at night.
Travelling over the Christmas Season:
- Have someone check your home daily.
- Do not let newspapers and flyers accumulate in front of your home.
- Have the mail picked up daily or have the post office hold your mail.
RCMP remind everyone who witnesses anything they believe to be suspicious in nature to contact your local police agency or, should you wish to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).