Extension Cord Used to Power Freezer Likely Cause Of Chilliwack House Fire On Mayfair Avenue

Chilliwack – On Saturday night (October 19th @ 8PM) Chilliwack Fire was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 46000 block of Mayfair Ave.

The home owner had a freezer plugged into an extension cord which was coiled up and had a box placed over it. This arrangement allowed the extension cord to overheat and start the fire. The home owner noticed smoke from the attached garage. Upon further investigation, the owner witnessed fire in the area where the extension cord was located. The home owner called 911, then grabbed a container full of water and successfully extinguished the fire.

When the crews entered, they noticed the home was charged with smoke. Upon entering the attached garage, they saw fire damage to storage items and the stairs leading to the home. Fire crews proceeded with overhaul and salvage operations. Fire crews were able to ventilate the structure and the residents were allowed back into the home.

No one was hurt.

Chilliwack Fire Department wants to remind home owners and tenants, that major appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord with a major appliance—it can easily overheat and start a fire.

Be the first to comment on "Extension Cord Used to Power Freezer Likely Cause Of Chilliwack House Fire On Mayfair Avenue"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.