Chilliwack – Chilliwack RCMP reminds drivers that September 3 marks the beginning of the school year with school buses on the road and school zone speed limits in effect.
School zone speed limits of 30 km / hour from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. school days across the Upper Fraser Valley – and in effect school days 7:30 to 5 p.m. inside the City of Chilliwack- will be enforced by police throughout the Upper Fraser Valley.
Motorists are also cautioned to stop for school buses, displaying red flashing lights, while engaged in picking up and dropping off students on the many school bus routes across our communities.
· When dropping off your children in school zones, allow them time to exit the vehicle on the side closest to the sidewalk. Never allow a child to cross the street mid-block.
· If a vehicle is stopped in front of you or in the lane next to you, they may be yielding to a pedestrian, so proceed with caution and be prepared to stop.
· Watch for school buses. Vehicles approaching from both directions must stop for school buses when their lights are flashing.
- Stay alert until you have safely reached the other side of the road, cars can come from all directions.
- Stay ‘unplugged’ and leave gadgets in backpacks when walking or cycling, this will allow you to focus on the road, see, hear, and respond safely.
- Wear high visibility clothing.