Chilliwack – Back in June 2018, the Chilliwack YMCA on Hocking Avenue, started the process going a major facelift.
That included changes to the pool and parking lot among other thing.
Plumbing issues set back the anticipated January 2019 opening.
- As a charity that opens its doors to all, we have no actual doors to open! The aluminum doors for the entry are stuck in production.
- The signage which includes the building’s address was forgotten.
- In the City of Chilliwack, we are third on the list to lay asphalt and we need to wait until the weather is dry and temperatures in B.C. rise—in winter!
- When we dug up the pool, we discovered that the sub-pump was installed in part with the help of a plastic peanut butter jar. (Talk about being resourceful!)
The new Chilliwack YMCA will be 36,700 square feet, 25% bigger than the current facility. The eastern side of the building will be demolished and re-built anew while the rest of the Y will be dramatically improved. With this expansion, you will enjoy the same programs you know and love at the Y as well as new programs:
- Physical literacy programs to help kids develop critical movement skills
- More adult group fitness classes
- Expanded pool hours
- More swimming lessons
Here’s what will be new:
- Gymnasium (4,250 sq. ft.)
- Five multipurpose rooms (totalling 4,650 sq. ft.)
- Conditioning floor (5,700 sq. ft.)
- Social area to connect with your family and community (600 sq. ft.)
- CycleFit studio (950 sq. ft.)
- Family/Universal change room (1,800 sq. ft.)
- Outdoor playground (1,000 sq. ft.)
Here’s what will be significantly renewed:
Expanded lobby and welcome area (1,500 sq. ft.)
Group fitness studio (1,950 sq. ft.)
Stretching and adaptive space (1,250 sq. ft.)
Childminding area (900 sq. ft.)
Pool (4,600 sq. ft.)